Credentials Book Instructions and Compilation Guidelines
To facilitate the process of approving information for the NY District Tournament/Playdowns and USA Hockey National Tournaments, present your teams credentials in an appropriate organized manner.
Tom Branden, District Registrar, and/or Janice Cavaretta will address any questions regarding credentials.
All qualifying teams should present their information in a THREE RING BINDER, and not in envelopes, folders, stapled or paper-clipped. Organize the binder by section using divider tabs. Individual document protector sheets are discouraged and should not be used. The book shall be arranged in a specific order as outlined in this document.
1. Cover page: created by the team manager: Includes the TEAM ROSTER ID #, organization name (this is not the team’s nickname), team’s playing level, classification, tier designation, season, the name of the head coach and manager’s name, contact info: cell phone and email address.
2. A pre-printed Credentials Verification Sheet (CVS)-report Form 1 – C. This Form should be given to the qualifying team by their club registrar prior to any sectional or playdown tournaments, or after January 1st when rosters are frozen for all other teams that do not have a sectional or playdown tournament. The form is available from the organization registrar. The CVS is located on the individual team’s page in the USAH registry tool and lists all the participants and staff approved to the team. This pre-printed sheet is left blank and is to be completed by the official USA Hockey or NY District designee reviewing credentials. This is not to be completed by the team manager, association or representative. If the team qualifies for the National Championship an additional blank CVS is to be included in the book for the USAH Registrar to complete. NOTE: It is mandatory that credentials are reviewed again prior to approval to attend a national tournament by Tom Branden and/or Janice Cavaretta. Additional requirements may need to be met prior to attending the National tournament.
3. Roster form 1 - T and Team History: Include the team's Main roster with all subsequent roster changes (additions or deletes). Note that all rosters MUST BE APPROVED & VALIDATED by a USAH registrar for NY. The Roster does not need to be signed by the players. Nothing should be handwritten on the rosters.
NYSAHA Rules and Regulations: 10A:4 (d), (e), (f)
(d). All players must be listed on an approved USA Hockey Roster. Players who are redlined or not listed will be considered ineligible. A public link is sent to the Association registrar and head coach of the team after the initial approval of the roster. It is the responsibility of the team’s head coach and registering Association to ensure all players on a specific team are properly registered and placed on the team roster. Neglecting to ensure the accuracy of a roster and the listing all players on a team is not considered a clerical error. An ineligible player shall mean a participant who is not registered properly; is not listed on an approved USA Hockey roster; is in violation of the player movement rules; or is on suspension.
(e). Games and Scoresheets involving ineligible players will not count toward a team’s or player’s credential requirement. Scoresheets listing players who are not claimed to a program, not properly rostered, redlined on a roster and those not approved on an official USA Hockey team roster for the NY District will not be allowed to count toward a credential for either the team in violation and or any of the players on the team. This may cause teams to be disqualified from a District or National Tournament for not meeting the credential requirement.
(f). Head coaches are responsible for ensuring that all players listed on a scoresheet are eligible to participate in the game. The head coach or acting head coach’s signature on the scoresheet indicates that the participants listed are all properly rostered and are eligible to participate.
A TEAM HISTORY report showing all fields (date, Change, last name, first name) must be included in the book and placed after the primary roster. The history report is generated by the organization registrar and should be given to the team prior to the credential review since it must reflect all roster changes.
Verification and affirmation that a review of each player’s date of birth and citizenship has been completed by a district or associate registrar. Players are deemed ineligible without verification. The roster will note “V” in the “DOB Verification” column, the verification of birth has been completed for the participant. NO FURTHER PROOF is required. This will also show up on the CVS. Organizations and teams should not collect or keep birth certificates once the verification is done.
Per NY District Rules
#10: It is required that ALL PLAYERS of any gender on a youth, high school, girls or women’s national tournament-bound team participating with a NY District-approved member program, must have birth and citizenship verified prior to participation with the approved member program and/or roster approval. Acceptable forms of proof of citizenship and birth are a government-issued birth certificate or passport identification page for each rostered player. Documents are to be submitted, by the Association registrar to the USA Hockey Associate Registrar for verification and affirmation prior to participation in their Association and/or with roster submittal. Those not in compliance will be redlined on the roster and are not eligible for participation.
~~ Hospital birth records, religious Baptismal records are not acceptable forms or proof ~~
4. NEW TAB/SECTION: Coaches, staff and Manager: Every coach and staff member must meet the requirements as established by USAH, the NY District and the section the team registers in.
MANAGER Requirements: Team Managers and program Volunteers are required to register online with USA Hockey. There is no charge for this registration. This registration does not allow on-ice participation but is a good way for you to be able to have Team Managers and Volunteers in your program. The confirmation number that managers and volunteers receive is required for the background check in NY and the SafeSport video training. After registering with USAH online as a manager, they need to be added to the roster as a manager and are required to have submitted to a background screening check.
5. SafeSport and Screening:
As required by the center for SafeSport, USAH and the NY district, All administrators, coaches and staff are required to submit to a background screening check in the NY district and complete the SafeSport Training Program. Coaches and other volunteers in USA Hockey programs that have regular, routine or frequent access to or supervision over youth participants, such as team managers, locker room monitors, chaperones, etc., are required to screen and complete the SafeSport Training prior to such access, participation and roster addition and approval. The USAH Registry grays out those that are not in compliance with SafeSport and does not allow roster placement. There is no participation until screening and the SafeSport training is complete and showing in the registry. This may take a few days to a few weeks to be merged, so plan accordingly.
One of the most exciting aspects of the USA Hockey SafeSport Program is the online training/education that is available to help our members become aware of the information necessary to help prevent abuse from occurring in our sport. We are pleased to announce that all USA Hockey registered coaches, officials, players, employees and volunteers are entitled to take the training at no cost.
The SafeSport Training and Refresher Training are each valid for one (1) season beginning on 4/1/19. Please Note: if you took the training during the 2018-19 season, it is still valid for the 2018-19 and 2019-20 seasons.
As ofJanuary 1, 2018, all relevant individuals who need to be SafeSport certified or are seeking recertification will need to complete the new SafeSport training, which features updated content.
Once you have completed the Core SafeSport Course, there will be a Refresher Course available for individuals who have previously completed the core SafeSport course and need to recertify. Users completing the SafeSport refresher course will be certified for an additional season.
PLEASE NOTE that you will need your own USA Hockey Confirmation Number or Referee Number and your own email address to access the training. You can locate your number OR obtain a number here membership.usahockey.com. If you will not be participating as a player, coach or referee, you can register at no cost under the ice manager/volunteer category to obtain your USA Hockey Confirmation Number.
6. NEW TAB – CONSENT TO TREAT: All players and staff including managers must complete the consent to treat form. In Alpha order, place the current Consent to treat form (rev 2/16) for all players, staff and manager in this tab. Start with the staff first, followed by the players. The form must be signed in ink with the insurance information completed. Electronic signatures are not acceptable. This form is obtained from the USAH Registrar. No other form is suitable.
7. NEW TAB - Sanctioned game scoresheets
2019-20 Season, all teams in the NY District must follow the following regulations:
(d) (i) For game score sheets to count in meeting the 20/10, 14/10 Girls’/Women, 10/8 rule for 18 & Under and 16 & Under Tier III and 10/5 High School varsity and/or prep school rule, that team’s player Roster form (1-T) must be certified by the District Registrar or his/her designee prior to that game being played. Games played prior to the roster approval will not count toward the credential requirement.
(ii) Game score sheets used to verify the 20/10, 14/10, 10/8 and 10/5 rule, must contain only names found on the Player Roster form (1-T) for that team. Game sheets listing players that are not properly approved on a USA Hockey roster and/or on suspension will not count toward a team’s or player’s credential requirement. It is the responsibility of the head coach or acting head coach to ensure all players are rostered properly and eligible to participate.
(iii) The Association team name listed on the scoresheet, either on the label or handwritten, must only be the name of the USA Hockey registering – Association name and not a pseudonym or nickname. In addition, the team Identification Number must be present on each scoresheet label or hand written in the team name area. NOTE: The Team ID number is located in the top header of the roster and will be in the following format: “NYH0000-01”.This includes the following areas: Scoresheet home/away team names, roster/playing lineup labels, penalties, scoring, goals per period tally etc. Non-compliance will result in the game sheet not meeting the standards, will be considered tainted and not used toward the credential requirement
7. FINAL NOTES ON CREDENTIALS
Credentials books for all teams qualifying for the NY District Tournaments must be reviewed by their section representative prior to attending the state tournament.
Questions on credentials can be directed to Tom or Janice at the email addresses listed.